All about home remodeling
There is no one person who wouldn’t want to live in a better and improved living space. That is why home remodeling is important. Many people have the desire to update their living space to a modern looking design. But, the one challenge that they face is choosing a place to start. To be able to succeed in the process of remodeling the home, there are different questions that you need to ask yourself and they include;
- What do I need to know before you begin the process of updating your home?
- Are there factors can I consider to make the process a success
- What are the steps that I need to take
- Should I hire a contractor?
The process of remodeling your home can be challenging one especially if you do not know what you need to do. That is the reason why you need to be equipped with all the information that you need to make a wise and informed decision.
The remodeling process
It is important for you to know the process for home remodeling so that you can be prepared. Regardless of the remodeling process, there are general steps that you need to focus on and they include;
- Step one is design stage; you will be required to choose a design or have a plan. It is at this stage where you will be required to decide if you are going to use a contractor or not. You will also be required to set a budget.
- Step 2 is the implementation stage; if you decide to use a contractor (and you should), you will need to meet with them to discuss on the process. It is at this stage where you will be required to decide on the tools that are to be used.
- Set rules and a timeline ; you need set up ground rules for the project that is if you are working with a contractor
- Step four is the set up stage; at this stage you will be required to prepare the home for remodeling.
Now to the remodeling process in details;
The initial steps that you need to take
Before you can choose any remodeling project, there are a few factors that you need address. First and foremost, you will be required to make an initial assessment of your home. That is the only way that you will be able to prioritize your projects. It is important for you to assess your home before so that you can know the condition of your home. It is also through assessment that you will be able to determine what items you need to buy. After the initial home assessment, it is important for you to determine want Vs need. That is, what is necessary and what can you do without. This is quite important as it will help you budget your finances properly.
At times, it is important for you to have a professional contractor assess your home. This is because they will be able to give you a list of all things that you require. Setting a budget is the next thing that you need to do. Beginning a home remodeling project without a budget is just planning for disaster. It is important for you to factor in the cost of buying the remodeling materials. When you are setting budget, you also need to consider the cost of hiring a project contractor.
Once you have decided on the rooms that you are going to remodel, you need to choose a design and also a theme. Remember that you are remodeling to update your current home appearance. There are many channels that you can use to draw inspiration from.
The tools that you will use
Whether you are working by yourself or with a contractor, there are different home remodeling tools that you need to have for the project to be successful. You know, home remodeling involves different projects and thus you need to be prepared. Some of the tools that you need to have include;
- The screwdriver set; having the different types of screws will make the remodeling process especially if you will be working with screws. These different screws have been designed with different sizes for the different projects.
- Tape measure; if you are working with wood, it is important for you to have the tape measure for accurate readings. You can also use the tools to measure the wall area of the paint.
- Hammer; you will need to have the 16 ounce hammer. This tool is versatile and can be used on different projects including demolition or driving nails into the wall and also assembling the furniture.
- Drills; they are perfect if you need to drill screws or fix items on walls. You need to be cautious when you are choosing the drill because they are available in different designs
- A set of pliers; this come in handy when you are working with power cords.
- Router table; this is perfect for you if you will be working with wood.
- Demolition bars
- Toolbox; this s essential when it comes to storing your different tools
Yes, if you hire a contractor, they will come with their own supply of tools and equipment depending on the project. It is however, important for you to have your won supply of tools for future use.
Should you hire a contractor?
The simple answer is yes you do. Even though you may be skilled in home repairs, remodeling of your home is a complex activity that should be handled by professionals. Disaster looms when you decide to handle the project on your own especially if you do not know the dynamics of home remodeling. It is important for you to seek the services of a qualified contractor. It will cost you more money, but it will be worth it.
Now that you have decided to use a contractor, you need to focus on choosing the best man for the job. There are different factors that you need to focus on and they include;
- You need to determine the kind of contractor that you need. Each and every contractor is skilled in different areas. You therefore need to focus on the type of project that you will be involved in. Do you need general contractors or designers?
- Their experience is of great importance; you need to ensure that you are dealing with a knowledgeable contractor. The number of years that the contractor has in the business plays an important role in determining the type of service they offer. The best way for you to determine their reputation and skills is by checking their reviews. You may also want to pay attention to their portfolio.
- Most states do issue licenses and certificates to qualified contractors. It is therefore important for you to check the licenses. You may also want to check if they are insured. If they don’t have insurance, you will be held responsible for any accident that happens on your compound. You need to keep in mind that having a license does not mean that their skills are top notch. That is the reason why you need to check their experience and skills.
- Their creativity plays an important role in the kind of work that the contractors will do. They need to be able to interpret your vision perfectly.
- The cost of their services; most of the qualified contractors usually charge a hefty fee for their services. The price quoted on the different packages will give you an idea on the type of contractor they have. However, this does not mean that you choose the most expensive contractor. You know, at times the higher prices do not usually translate to quality services.
How to have a successful home remodeling process
Now, that you have chosen a contractor and have the right tools; it is time for you to begin the remodeling process. There are different tips that you can use to enable you make the most out of your projects. Below is a list of tips that you can incorporate;
- You need to be in the right frame of mind. You need to understand that you are the owner of the house and your presence play an important role in the progress of your project. When you are present, you will be able to keep tabs on the process and what the contractors are doing. It is important for you to identify and rectify problems as you progress with the project.
- You need to identify a chain of communication. Effective communication is what is what is going to help you have an understanding with the contractors. Identifying the person of contact is therefore important for communication. You need to make sure that you give your contractors all the necessary details relating to your project.
- You need to establish a timeline; once you have established a plan, you need to have a seat down with your contractor and come up with a timeline for completing the project. Establishing the time frame will help keep the contractors in check. As you design the work timeline, you need to ensure that you come with project goals to ensure that you are progressing as scheduled. Not having a schedule or goals, will affect the productivity of project.
- Before you can start the remodeling process, you need to ensure that you pay attention to the cost of service. A good contractor will give you the estimated budget and also a breakdown of the costs. This way, you will be able to ensure that there are no hidden costs.
- You need to have an open mind; yes, you need to have a design for what you intent to be achieved. However, it is important for you to have an open mind just in case things don’t turn out the way you want. There are times when the design you want may conflict with the different systems in the house. It is therefore important for you to be flexible to adjust your design and vision.
- You need to be prepared for anything; you know at times accidents do happen which may negatively affect the progress of your project. Aspects like weather may delay the completion of the project. The best way for you to avoid getting delays, is by planning to remodel the home at the appropriate season. You need to have a second plan in case the contractor gets injured while on the job.
When you are planning your budget, you need to allocate money for emergencies. You may be forced to hire another contractor which may cost you money. You also need to factor in the fact that the materials may get damaged and you may have to buy others. These are unexpected accidents that are going to happen, you therefore need to ensure that you have all things sorted out if and when disaster hits.
- Get the necessary information; before you can begin the process of remodeling your home, you need to ensure that you have all the information needed about the process. That is the only way that you will manage to stay in control of the projects. You know, the contractors may take advantage of your ignorance and change the design or the plan that you had in mind. You need to ensure first you are conversant with the different materials that are needed in the project. Secondly, you need to ensure that you know the basics of the remodeling process. This way you will be able to tell if the contractors are working as planned. You should not take chances with your home- educate yourself!
The process of remodeling your home is complex. But with proper planning, you can successfully ensure that you perfectly achieve your goals. It is important for you to seek advice from the professionals before you begin the remodeling process. The experts will give you information on the dos and don’ts of home remodeling.